Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Flower Power



Can you smell them from the screen?
Have you heard the famous quote, “Stop and smell the flowers?” This phrase tells us that we sometimes tend to focus too much on the path that we have, in line with the goals that we set for ourselves. Apparently, we become too obsessed with these things that we forget to enjoy the actual journey.

Let me give you an example. Imagine yourself eating your favorite food in the world. Your eyes pop out and jaw drops in the sight of this sumptuous plate that you are about to attack. For me, it is a Japanese meal, specifically a Mori Soba accompanied with Maki, Tamagoyaki and hot green tea on the side. While at the peak of extreme hunger, we quickly grab our eating utensils, pick the food, swallow and bite it all the way down to our tummy. Once satisfied, we rest on our seats after indulging in this great feast. We cannot move. We carry a heavy stomach, full and bloated. A few minutes later we wonder where the food goes. Did you savor its flavor, texture and taste the crisp or juice of every ingredient therein? Did you even know the dish that you just ate? 

This example points out that we tend to forget to appreciate the little things we have around us. Many can raise their hands in guilt of this, including mine. If only we learn to stop and smell the flowers on our way, we can still see the beauty in a difficult day.

Straight from our gate.

Here is a short list of what I consider some of my “flowers” to be:

  • Stop to look at flowers. (Pun intended. Haha)
  • Soak in a good shower.
  • Ogle at a gorgeous sunset.
  • Enjoy my meals.
  • Appreciate a joke even the corny ones. (Especially with Yani Haha)
  • Stare at my dog and see how happy she is when I give her my attention.
  • Take pictures of the sky. This is definitely one of the most beautiful subjects ever. The sky is different every single time.
  • Hug my pillow. (I love hugging things. This is not a sentimental statement. Haha)
  • Prize a cold glass of water.
  • Take deep breaths. (I have asthma that’s why I highly appreciate this.)
Some of these things may seem absolutely ordinary. But this is exactly my point. Relish everything.

-H

No comments:

Post a Comment